P1490912 The Old Town Hall,Katherine Street. Grant’s, High Street, Croydon – geograph. Central London, types of clouds explanation worksheet pdf an extensive shopping district and night-time economy.
1803 and was the world’s first public railway. Croydon was amalgamated into Greater London in 1965. Alternative, although less probable, theories of the name’s origin have been proposed. The earliest mention of Croydon is in the joint will of Beorhtric and Aelfswth, dated about the year 962. Crog was, and still is, the Norse or Danish word for crooked, which is expressed in Anglo-Saxon by crumb, a totally different word. From the Danish came our crook and crooked. Old French for “chalk hill”, because the name was in use at least a century before the French language would have been commonly used following the Norman Invasion.
Surrey, which was part of Wessex, and Danish-derived nomenclature is also highly unlikely. Park Lane, although the extent of any associated settlement is unknown. Croydon as an urban centre. High Street, Surrey Street and Crown Hill. By the 16th century the manor house had become a substantial palace, used as the main summer home of the archbishops and visited by monarchs and other dignitaries. 1849 but destroyed in a great fire in 1867, following which only the tower, south porch, and outer walls remained. Six archbishops lived there between 1807 and 1898, when it was sold.
It is now a conference and banqueting venue. Croydon was a leisure destination in the mid 19th century. Its official title was The Royal Beulah Spa and Gardens. Being for the Benefit of Mr. It was destroyed in a spectacular fire in 1936. Increasing local opposition to the presence of allegedly unruly racegoers coupled with the need to obtain a licence from the local authority led to it being closed down in 1890.
Hospital of the Holy Trinity”, in the centre of Croydon at the corner of North End and George Street, were erected by Archbishop John Whitgift. The foundation stone was laid in 1596 and the building was completed in 1599. The premises included the Hospital or Almshouses, providing accommodation for between 28 and 40 people, and a nearby schoolhouse and schoolmaster’s house. There was a Warden in charge of the well-being of the almoners. The building takes the form of a courtyard surrounded by the chambers of the almoners and various offices.